Sharing is caring!
For many, eating at a steakhouse is the perfect excuse to forget one’s diet. After all, when dining at a steakhouse, you have to order their specialty: a steak. You also have to accompany this entree with a slew of delectable appetizers and side dishes.
Some tips you should follow:
- Simple salads (just keep the dressing light!)
- Tuna tartare
- Fresh raw oysters
- Shrimp cocktail
- Filet (a fillet between 6 and 9 ounces contains 220 to 340 calories)
- Sirloin (a 9-ounce serving contains less than 400 calories)
- Flank steak (an 8-ounce serving contains approximately 440 calories)
- Order plain baked or boiled potatoes. Baked and boiled potatoes are healthy and filling but adding butter, cheese, gravy, and bacon will double the calories. You will also consume more sodium and saturated fat.
- Choose sautéed spinach. Creamed spinach is one of the best steak dinner side dishes. However, spinach cooked in cream has more than three times the calories and fat of sautéed spinach. As such, choose the healthier version.
- Don’t order anything fried. French fries and onion rings are also classic steak side dishes but it doesn’t mean you always have to order them. Go for fiber-rich sides such as steamed or lightly sautéed vegetables like leafy greens, asparagus, or cauliflower.