Sharing is caring!
One topic that is increasingly being discussed is the Internet of Things (IoT). In basic terms, this is a concept that revolves around connecting all devices that have an on and off switch to the Internet. This includes everything from lamps and washing machines to coffee makers and mobile phones. It can also apply to machine components as well, such as an aeroplane’s jet engine.
- Facilitating mobile banking – Mobile Point-of-Sales applications and wireless ATMs will run smoothly across a large geographical span with satellite acting as the main communications backbone.
- Connecting vehicles – Satellite technology can ensure that coverage in remote areas around the globe is achieved, which is pivotal if safety features, such as emergency calling, are to be available and effective.
- The development of sustainable cities – The IoT can lead to smarter resource allocation and energy efficiency, thus enhancing the sustainability to cities. However, satellite technology is essential to achieve this, as it will ensure that smart grids are deployed in remote regions, and there is a reliable back-up network for security and safety services.
- Transportation infrastructure – Satellite communications will enable the next generation of mobility services, ensuring connectivity across the worldwide transportation landscape.
- Offshore exploration projects – These projects can be supported thanks to the use of satellite-based sensor networks.
- Connect remote assets – At offshore platforms and unmanned sites, real-time asset management and facility monitoring can take place thanks to satellites.