Sharing is caring!
Why follow someone else’s fashion sense when you can turn heads with your own style?
You don’t need a closet full of designer clothing to stand out. There are plenty of ways to make even a simple outfit more interesting.
When styling oneself, taking a relaxed approach can help a real fashion star shine. If you have enough clever fashion tricks up your sleeve, you can instantly make a statement.
Here are seven inspired ways to take any outfit from plain to spectacular.
1. Go beyond basic with statement shirts.
For days when you’re feeling lazy and don’t have enough energy to put together an outfit, statement tees will save the day.
The great thing about statement T-shirts is that they’re comfortable, stylish, and you can wear them for a variety of occasions. If you want to add a more personal touch, you can even customize a shirt to convey exactly what’s on your mind.
Let your shirt do the talking. Whether in spring or summer, the following are examples of clothing pieces you can pair with your statement shirt:
- Blazer – If your shirt has an edgy design, wearing a blazer over it will add a touch of sophistication.
- Boyfriend jeans – The key to wearing boyfriend jeans is to style them correctly, and combining them with a well-fitted statement shirt is the way to go.
- Skirt – Ditch the plain tops and pair your full skirt with a statement shirt.
- Shorts – As summer looms in, pack some shorts and style them with a statement shirt to look awesome.
2. Add a twist with boyfriend jeans.
When you think about boyfriend jeans, you might think of a masculine or androgynous look. It’s a good thing, then, that you can interpret fashion in many ways. Add a twist to your boyfriend jeans by pairing these with a delicate white blouse and some accessories.
Think big! An unexpected twist will be sure to leave a lasting impression.
3. Consider out-of-the-box proportions.
Accentuating your waist and learning how to appear taller are all old rules. By tossing those old fashion rules out, you can have more opportunities to come up with stunning outfits.
For instance, you can:
- Drag that line down to your knees by pairing a long sweater with a maxi skirt
- Match your high waist pants or skirt with a boxy and geometric crop top
- Pair an oversized boyfriend shirt with skinny jeans and knee-high boots
- Combine long wide-leg pants with a cropped baggy top
If you start to think out-of-the-box proportions, your everyday outfits will instantly look more eye-catching.
4. Invest in a pair of gorgeous sunglasses.
Most people have classic shades that they can pair with almost any outfit. However, since you want to make a statement, you should also have one pair in your wardrobe that packs personality.
This could be a pair of mirrored sunglasses with bold frames, two-toned ones, or a pair with a definite shape, like a cat eye.
Sunglasses are a minor accessory that has the potential to be that dramatic add-on you need to tie your outfit together.
5. Bring a patterned clutch.
Mixing prints always helps add a playful touch to your outfit. But if you only need a little bit of impact, adding a patterned clutch to your ensemble does the trick.
It may not be as bold as mixing prints in clothes, but it incorporates enough contrast and messiness to make your get-up more interesting.
Whether in colors or prints, adding contrast always results in a compelling look.
6. Go trendy on classics.
Getting inspiration from the past is another good trick to make a statement with your outfit. Take, for example, the matching short set which was popular in the 1950s. Most people wouldn’t want to wear one today, but that style is so understated that it has made a huge comeback.
7. Add in texture.
Do you want to make your ensemble feel more luxurious? All you have to do is add in different textures and witness your outfit transform.
You can add:
- A fur vest to your boho dress
- A fur collar to your jumpsuit
- A striped top to a suede skirt
By adding texture to your look, you have more elements to play with, setting your outfit apart from more basic looks.
Wear Everything with Confidence
Whether you plan to rock a flowy dress or denim on denim, the key to making a fashion statement is confidence. Wear whatever you like and go beyond boundaries by owning your style.